Main Logo for Providence College

SPS Health Policy and Management Student Spotlight: Delaney Mayette ’20

Meet Delaney Mayette, a senior Health Policy and Management major who is minoring in English, Sociology, and Women Studies. She shares what she learned from her experience as an intern at Lifespan in the Payer Relations and Contracting Department.

Please tell us about your internship experience.

I am an intern in the Payer Relations and Contracting Department for Lifespan. As part of my daily responsibilities, I am in charge of performing research for certain Accountable Care Organization (ACO) incentive payments, Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) code denials. I also help research different coverage options for new Urgent Care centers, and find primary care physician locations for potential contact for new contracts, etc. I am also responsible for helping with planning activities such as creating meetings and negotiations for new contracts with payers. In a typical day, I attend meetings across Rhode Island at various Lifespan Headquarters with my supervisor. We like to meet face to face in order to get a more personal connection with our clients and to develop good relationships with our payers. When I am not at meetings, I am usually conducting research or working on professional development with my supervisor.

How are you putting what you have learned in the classroom to use in your internship?

Through my internship I have learned effective tools in conducting research and successful means to present the information to my supervisors. In addition, my background knowledge on paying for health care, health insurance, and the current policies in place have helped me to better understand the what I am being exposed to in my internship.

What is the most surprising thing that you did not expect to learn or experience through your internship?

I have learned a lot about leadership and management in the health care sector, which is a field I am interested in pursuing. My supervisor always takes time to meet with me and work on professional development activities (i.e. resume revision, cover letter creation, interview preparation, and workplace diversity). Additionally, I have learned a lot about negotiations and the importance of relationship building and teamwork throughout the health care sector.

What are your future goals or aspirations? How has your internship influenced your goals?

I am interested in pursuing a career in the areas of management/administration within the healthcare sector. I will be pursuing a master’s degree in health administration after graduation and I have recently been accepted into George Washington University, University of Pittsburgh, Virginia Commonwealth University, and UNC Chapel Hill. This position has instilled a sense of confidence in my abilities as a future leader in the realm of healthcare and has helped me to narrow down the aspect of healthcare administration I would like to pursue. As of now, I am considering health administration within the Navy focusing on the flexibility of military health systems as well as addressing current disparities and issues that are prevalent within the Veteran’s Health Administration.

What is your dream job?

My dream job is to be the President of a hospital one day. Whether related to the military or a non-for-profit health system, I am interested in all of the components involved in the daily running of a health facility. I also want to be in a position where I can make decisions that improve the access and quality of care within a given community.

Interested in being a spotlight? Click here!