Main Logo for Providence College

SPS Health Policy and Management Student Spotlight: Cameron Mimoso ’20

Meet Cameron Mimoso, a senior Health Policy and Management major. He shares what he learned from his experience as an Quality Improvement Intern at the Rhode Island Primary Care Physicians Corporation (RIPCPC) in Cranston.

Please tell us about your internship experience.

I was a Quality Improvement Intern who was responsible for assisting the Quality Improvement Specialists (QIS) in a variety of ways from secretarial duties to attending meetings with physicians at their offices. I would review Patient-Centered Medical Homes (PCMH) documentation and suggest edits that the Quality Improvement Team may need to change to follow the guidelines for annual reporting (required by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA)). I assisted the QIS Team by preparing documents with the necessary information from Electronic Medical Records (EMR). I relied on Excel to input survey data for annual reporting to the NCQA. Finally, I developed and updated department tools, templates, and documents to be more user-friendly, that are still in use today.

My day would begin at 8:30am where I was usually given a stack of patient satisfaction surveys from multiple physicians’ offices that I would organize and input the data into Excel. The whole process would generally take around 2 hours. At 10:30am, I went back to PC for class and returned to RIPCPC at 12:30pm. When I returned I was typically presented with PCMH documentation that needed to be reviewed. Using analytical skills and NCQA guidelines, I compiled a list of questions, comments, concerns, and potential HIPAA breaches that needed to be censored (since we were using patient information in the documentation). I would then meet with a QIS Team Member who was working on the report to go over that list of comments with the QIS Team member who would be working on the report. I also participated in meetings and other small tasks throughout the day (although meetings were less common for me).

How are you putting what you have learned in the classroom to use in your internship?

Going into my internship, I had never learned about Patient-Centered Medical Homes (PCMHs) in any of my prior classes before. However, like any job, there were training opportunities available and I was able to pick up concepts quickly. Throughout my time as a Health Policy and Management major, I have learned that many of the most common concepts used in Health Care today were applicable to my internship. Medicare and Medicaid, third party-payers, and the Affordable Care Act (ACA) were all influential aspects in the physicians’ offices we represented. Having a knowledge of the Health Care System and structure, the concept of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) (specifically what is included and what to look for), and the ramifications of breaching Protected Health Information (PHI) was very beneficial to me.

What is the most surprising thing that you did not expect to learn or experience through your internship?

I did not expect to learn the type of environment that I would enjoy working in. I started my internship thinking I would be mostly by myself with my supervisor occasionally checking in on me to give me tasks. I expected to learn a lot more about the field of Health Care, and the application to the real world (to see what it is actually like) rather than in textbooks and lectures. This opportunity allowed me to identify what I wanted in a future work environment, the types of people I want to work with, and how I would like my superiors to act/ present themselves to me and my coworkers. There was a special culture at RIPCPC that really made me love going into work.

What are your future goals or aspirations? How has your internship influenced your goals?

My job as a Quality Improvement Intern definitely expanded my interest in that particular sect of Health Care. The Health Care System in the U.S. is definitely changing and quality is surely going to be at the forefront of the approach. It has similar ties to Risk Management, which was where my interest in Quality Improvement initially started. I had another summer internship in the Risk Management department of a hospital prior to my internship at RIPCPC. Ultimately, my internship at RIPCPC pushed me more into this section of Health Care, and I definitely plan on taking this with me into Graduate School or Law School.

What is your dream job?

I really enjoyed Quality Improvement and Risk Management, so I believe a career in Health Law or Risk Management is definitely my goal. As a result, my dream job would be to become a lawyer either practicing in the areas of Health Law or Medical Malpractice.

Interested in being a spotlight? Click here!