Main Logo for Providence College

SPS Health Policy and Management Student Spotlight: Julia Lorkiewicz ’20

Meet Julia Lorkiewicz, a senior Health Policy and Management major who is minoring in Economics and Political Science. She shares what she learned from her experience at Enterprise as a Health Benefits Consulting intern. She also signed her post-graduate offer with Marsh & McLennan Agency (MMA) and will be starting a new role as an Associate Consultant in June!

Please tell us about your internship experience.

I am a Health Benefits Consulting intern in the Enterprise Business Division which means I deal with small businesses and between 1-99 employees. I do a wide variety of things but my usual roles are centered around supporting the consultants with their business. Some of my daily activities include getting information and quotes from carriers, working directly with clients, running and comparing numbers.  Every day is different which is what I love the most about my position. Some days I could be attending client/provider meetings while other days I could be at my desk sending emails and compiling spreadsheets.  This time of the year is considered the “busy season” for consultants and a lot of them are traveling but we communicate throughout the day to see what should be accomplished that day.

How are you putting what you have learned in the classroom to use in your internship?

I never thought I would be working in this field but when I took Professor Forte‚Äôs Financial Management of the Healthcare Institution class, it opened my eyes to the possibilities of combining my interests of business and healthcare.  From there, I learned more through various classes about the importance of not only learning the material that you are working with, but also how to succeed in the professional world by being a good employee and co-worker.  These are tools that I will use in the future and hold forever.

What is the most surprising thing that you did not expect to learn or experience through your internship?

I did not realize how much of working in insurance consulting is client centered!  I am not the type of person that can be stuck at a desk all day so I was really happy to see that there were many days that we travel and interact with people outside the office.

What are your future goals or aspirations? How has your internship influenced your goals?

My internship has influenced my future goals and plans significantly.  I actually just signed my post-grad offer with MMA. I will be continuing within the company and transitioning to the role of Associate Consultant in June!

What is your dream job?

My dream for the future is to get my law degree and work in a hospital or another healthcare setting.  I ultimately want to combine my knowledge of insurance consulting with my passion for law.

Interested in being a Spotlight? Click here!