Main Logo for Providence College

SPS Health Policy and Management Student Spotlight: Shannon Rowe ’20

Meet Shannon Rowe, a Health Policy and Management major and Spanish/ Business Innovation minor on the global engagement track from the Class of 2020. She shares what she learned from her experience at the Neonatal Follow-up Clinic in the Women and Infants Hospital.

Please tell us about your field placement experience.

I am a Pediatric Intern at the Neonatal Follow-Up Clinic at Women and Infants Hospital, a clinic which provides care to babies who have been discharged from the NICU from birth to around 6 years of age. My typical responsibilities include: working with Epic, to create and summarize patient growth charts as well as to record other pertinent case specific data, shadowing the lead physician of the day, and shadowing the lead child psychologist of the day as they complete physical and cognitive exams on infants and children.

How are you putting what you have learned in the classroom to use in your field placement?

My Health Policy and Management classes at PC prepared me for my role here, at the Neonatal Follow-Up Clinic at Women and Infants Hospital, in that they exposed me to the complexities of hospital management as well as national healthcare policy; a perspective that most clinical undergraduate interns as well as medical residents at my placement site may not have.

What is the most surprising thing that you did not expect to learn or experience through your field placement?

Though my placement focuses primarily on the clinical aspect of healthcare, and my learning has been very much focused on medical disorders and exam procedures, my coursework at PC has allowed me to approach and understand patients at the clinic with a deeper understanding of the impact of the social determinants of health, as well as the tangible impact that policy reform has on the day-to-day operations of a clinic, as well as the larger healthcare organization of Care New England.

What are your future goals or aspirations? How has your field placement influenced your goals?

Post grad, I plan on either working in public health consulting and then obtaining my masters in public health, or taking a gap year to volunteer at a nonprofit organization and then going to medical school where I plan to specialize in obstetrics and gynecology. Either way, my goal is to devote my career to addressing and remedying issues in maternal healthcare in the US and abroad.

What is your dream job?

My dream job down the road would be to work within the United Nations at the World Health Organization on a committee devoted to reducing preterm birth complications, which currently are ranked as one of the top ten causes of death worldwide.

Interested in being a Spotlight? Click here!